What are reserves and how do I use them?
Reserves are items that your teachers have placed in a special section of the library for students to access for a specific course. Often teachers will place required texts, such as textbooks, on reserve at the library, but we have all kinds of materials on reserve for all kinds of courses.
To check and see what, if anything, we have on reserve for your course, follow the steps below:
- From the Library homepage, click on "Course Reserves" from the column labeled Services.
- This will take you to an advanced search page. (Under Search Scope at the top of the page, note that your search is already limited to course reserves.)
- Click on the dropdown arrow next to where it says "Any field" and select Course Instructor. Type the instructor's name in the blank search field to the immediate right of the dropdown arrows.
- To limit your search even more, click on the dropdown arrows on the next line, select Course ID, and type in the course number.
- Click SEARCH.
- A list of all the reserves for that class/instructor will appear below the search box.
This list will include electronic reserves as well as physical reserves. If you would like to check out a physical reserve, you will need (as always) valid photo ID. Come to the check out desk with the title or call number of the item you would like to check out and we will get it for you from our reserves section. After this, we will check out the reserve to you. If the reserve is in library use only, we will hold on to your ID while you have the item checked out.
Any questions about reserves? Please feel free to reach out to one of our librarians and they will be happy to help!